Lost and Found

Sg. Pertak Camp Day 2

CLC and I woke up late today. We didn't want to wake up because we didn't want to prepare breakfast, just let the seniors do it.

Dry curry yee mee and burnt yee mee was our breakfast. Curry yee mee was actually oily yee mee while burnt yee mee was literally burnt inside out. We had our breakfast fresh from the frying wok.

Everything was checked, we were ready to go, we were so excited to get to the top of the jungle to see the waterfall, but we didn't know, trouble was ahead of us.

The road was muddy, extremely muddy, we had a hard time walking through it. Probably due to the heavy rain yesterday and some 4WD ran over it.

We crossed 5 rivers, then there shall be no water source along the way, but we didn't know.

Not long after the last river, the gradient started to climb and until it was so steep, clumsy Daniel fell and tore his muscle. All people behind him, which include me as the last coordinator, were stopped because he was immobile. I knew someone must be injured, I climb fort to help. Come to know the injury, I passed my walkie-talkie to Alvin and rushed the rest to follow the team. It was a lucky decision, or probably a bad decision.

Hsien Loong and I had to excort Daniel back. We had no worry, they are a group of trained scouts and with the help of technology, it was almost impossible to get lost in the jungle with clear tracks and clear reception of satelite signal. Further, Wei Nan, Au Yong and 6 Rovers (Ben, CLC, LCZ, LVK, LLB, Chai Jia Ren) were there to take care of them.

I had no idea what God wanted me to do, He drew Daniel, Hsien Loong and I back to the camp, but leaving the rest of the boy suffered the fright of their life. I don't know whether to say this is a blessing or a test.

I thought they could get back in time, 4 p.m., we all thought! But Wei Nan indicated that they couldn't get back at 4. Messages kept coming in, until the message says they will reach by 8.30p.m.

I knew something was going wrong, Heng Yuen instructed me to get as much torch light as possible and grab some water to search for them. The lucky two, Hsien Loong and I set foot to the rescue.

I knew there isn't much that we can do, without a GPS and sunlight, it is literally stupid to rush in to save them, but for Allyson's sake, I had to save CLC. I had to get the boys out safely. Worries started to bombard me terribly.

We waited at the junction, I knew that was the road up, I knew. I rushed in, I so wanted to see them running out to meet us, but Hsien Loong stopped my stupid act. I cried, for the first time, I cried for not just a boy, but a whole group of them.

It was really terrible to know that your best friends are in the jungle, trapped in darkness, you know the road to them but yet you can't do anything to help them! My "son"! My "grandsons" are inside! I want to save them! I know they are in there! O Lord, save them! Please Lord! I beg You! I'm so weak and I can't do anything! I couldn't stop praying and crying, I could only hope. Hsien Loong had to keep me talking, he was real calm, but I couldn't calm myself.

"10th Group Air Scouts sing this song......scouting......flying......." I started singing as loud as thunder's roar, sobbing. I really hoped they will follow the sound and find us. Come Back My Bonnie, Keep The Homefires Burning, Long Long Trail Awinding, I've Been Working On The Railroad, I Have Six Pence.......I sang and sang and sang........still sobbing

We waited there until 8.45p.m., we had to give up. Without a GPS, both of us are in worse scenario if we kept going in, the old fellows were worried about us more than them. We left water and torch lights along the way and drew some signs to guide them home in case they reach after we left, that's the last thing we could do. I reached campsite crying, I blamed myself for being useless, literally blame myself for being safe here, enjoying everything while they were suffering.

Yuki was looking at me, tried to comfort me but was afraid to. She only kept quiet and prayed, but that was enough. I sat in the river, washing the muds off me, I broke down completely, cried out hard. With meehoon in front of me, tasted nothing, I couldn't eat. Why am I here eating while they were hungry and thirsty in there?!

Heng Yuen hired 2 orang asli as guides, Patrick got his GPS from his car, Kuai Chong and Ah Hua grabbed as much torch light as possible, they had to take without permission. They were all discussing the plan to rescue them. I was still sobbing by the side. Everything was set. I told myself I had to stop crying like a baby, I had to do something, crying just wont help at all. Kuai Chong stopped me, he said I'm not fit for the work, but I insisted. My shoes were still wet, my legs still ache, but I got the courage from nowhere. My mind was only the scene where Ben, CLC, LVK, LCZ were all suffering from hunger, thirst and cold, the scene Allyson crying over CLC hitting me for not saving CLC.

The two orang asli's were ahead of us, followed by Ah Hua, me, Heng Yuen and Patrick. I felt no exhaustion, adrenaline was pumping within me, awareness increase, highly sensitive to surrounding except for mosquitos and leeches that were sucking my fresh blood.

Old men couldn't catch up, so am I. The orang asli's were too fit, they ran way ahead of us. We were on our own, with the GPS, Ah Hua was exhausted, I offered to carry the haversack for him as he lighted up a cigaratte. I forced myself to go with heavy load behind me, I couldn't feel anything on my leg, only numbness. Patrick took the lead, I was the only young man, yet not the fittest one. My chest started to cramp and pain, I knew this would happen. God really tested me physically and mentally this time, pushed me to the limit.

I couldn't believe I actually climbed 3 kilometres non-stop, stopped just to check our route and position. Thank Patrick for that "We are near!""We are halfway!""Just 300metres flat ahead (which is actually ++++ due to the steep slope)!"

Finally the old men can't go any further, they sat down to rest, tried to contact Wei Nan. I kept asking them to go, I couldn't wait anymore, I knew they were just ahead! Patrick calmed me down:"It's gonna be okay Kar Wai, don't worry, the orang asli will bring them down, relax kay?!""But...!"

After a slight chat and a few cigarattes, Patrick and I went ahead, leaving Heng Yuen and Ah Hua to wait for the boys. I was gasping for air, I knew resting for a long time will weaken me, my legs couldn't hold my weight anymore, my hands come into use. I knew leeches just bit me at my tigh near my balls, both my feet, my toes, I couldn't be bothered. I had to keep moving. something was moving, yes, it was their voice! I literally ran towards them, Alvin was the first I met. I dropped my bag, passed the torch lights and water for the boys. They were all thirsty and exhausted. The boy scouts kept shouting and yelling and grabbing for water. Patrick led the boys down to Heng Yuen, I checked the boys out.

Finally, LCZ. I so wanted to hug him but he pushed me away. Strangely I didn't cry when I saw them. I patted his back. Then CLC I met, but he was the last. "Where's Ben?!""He's still back there, his brother is suffering a phobia and panicked!" I ran in immediately, CLC couldn't catch up behind. I told the rest to leave without us and pass the message to Patrick that I went ahead to find Ben and those with him. On the way, I told CLC about Allyson, a drop of tear actually dropped on my hand. I had to lie to her.

Ben and the rest had a hard time to come down from the slippery slope. But it was happy enough to see them okay. Benjamin, younger brother of Ben lost his spectacles and panicked, fear was his only expression. I calmed him down and tried my best to help him. The impatient Jun Jie was yelling and shouting at those behind. He was desperate and furious. Can't blame him, everything for him is just speed and fast. Everyone was thirsty, so was I. I told them water was just ahead, we had to go fast to get the water.

The torches weren't enough, everyone had a hard time moving in a dark, slippery and steep jungle track. Everyone was exhausted, hungry, thirsty and cold. Led by the orang asli, we separated into 3 groups.

"Where are the rivers?""Kar Wai, how long more to the river?" Questions kept coming I couldn't answer. "Just ahead! We gonna reach soon! And dinner is served! So let's keep moving!" That's all I could say, but they started to lose trust on me, there wasn't I could do about it. Ben was probably mad at me, for I was saved from this trouble, or probably not. I really want them to know, I was probably in a harder position than them.

I kept talking to CLC, so afraid to lose him again. My legs sored, my waist aches but I have to stay strong the the boys' sake. Jun Jie was moving too fast, kept yelling and shouting and scolding.

The journey was long, I couldn't hear from Ben. He was in a different group, but I was relieved because at least Patrick and the other orang asli were with them. We joined up with Alvin's group which left much earlier after taking a drink and rest at the first river. The boy scouts definitely need more training, they were moving too slow!

After a muddy trail, we finally reached the last river and campsite was just ahead of us. We were all excited, A strong relief was in me. Mission accomplished! I yelled! Yuki and her aunt were clapping, thanks for the clap and encouragement. I was extremely hungry, right after removing my shoes, I grabbed a meshtin and fork and started eating clumsily. I could eat finally, almost choked myself. Just too hungry.

Ben, LCZ, LVK, CJR came back the lastest, at 3.35 a.m., due to Benjamin's phobia and injury. Patrick's GPS was actually out of battery, but he lied to keep the boys calm.

There were a total of 7-8 leech bites on me, one bit me near my balls, the rest on my feet. Thinking back, where did I get the courage to do such extreme thing? I take this as an opportunity to be couragous and to be tested to my limit.

The sky were clear that night. Stars shining brightly, the night sky seems most beautiful that night. Yuki and I stood together and looked up the sky. For that night, I lost my best friends and comrades and found them again!

By the way, who's Yuki?! Haha!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Big thank you to:
  1. Our Almighty God for the extreme test, strength and courage.
  2. Hsien Loong for stopping my hasty acts.
  3. Kuai Chong, Ah Hua, and Patrick for the comfort.
  4. Heng Yuen for allowing me to join the rescue and spent money to hire the orang asli.
  5. Richard and the old scouts for the dinner.
  6. Yuki for her prayers and company for that starry night.
  7. Allyson for being the source of courage.
  8. Wei Nan and Au Yong for being wise.
  9. The orang asli's for helping us late at night.
  10. Daniel Hong for saving me from trapping along with them which allow me to rescue them.
  11. Everyone for being brave for the time being.
  12. My son and grandsons for coming back safely. (The Rovers)
Well below are the other side of the story, check out
Diary
(1 Dec)
Tomorrow I have to go school to return SPBT's book, took me an hour just to wrap those pity little book. My tear flowed as I was writing this, you can't imagine how terrible I felt. Two versions of story, two versions of experience. I'm gonna collect information from the 6 Rovers to write about their experience, and compare mine and theirs.

I reached home by 4p.m. today, exhausted. Close for the day.

Comments

  1. can someone please name me 'weinan' instead of 'wei nan'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whow.. what stupid comment... Its WEINAN.
    I think I missed you all. STPM..
    Cant sleep well that night after my bro SMSed me we are still in jungle. (It is around 9.00p.m. then)

    -Zhi Hao

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

That Sea Raging in Me

If I Had Walked Away

November? No, Remember! Part 4