SWEEP Day 10: Hug Me, I'm HIV+

BEM Kuching
It's Sunday! It's always exciting to go to church, especially going to some church I've never been to before. This morning, we find ourselves at Borneo Evangelical Mission (Kuching Evangelical Church). What's interested us was the fact that the church was built right beside a huge Buddhist temple. Haha we even jokingly said: "Welcome to church!" Then walk right out of the gate towards the church.

We were greeted warmly by some regular church member. The church interior reminded me of Trinity Methodist Church at Jalan Gasing. The sanctuary is spacious with a majestic cross as the backdrop. A pulpit is placed right at the center of the stage.

The church service was somewhat similar to a Methodist one. We started with Scripture Reading and then worship. We sang a good mixture of contemporary songs and classic hymns. I enjoy such balanced worship.

Today's sermon was taken from Genesis 37 and 38, recounting the story of Joseph and Judah. The preacher showed a great example of an expository preach where a Scripture is taken and interpreted within context to extract biblical lessons.

After the service, light refreshments and coffee was served. There were about 200 to 300 people there. As a small church goer, I find that extremely uncomfortable. Hmm I guess big churches are not for my taste? Haha! We had a great time over breakfast after that.
Busking time at HIV/AIDS Campaign
We did some final preparation while some of us took some rest before the HIV/AIDS campaign. We arrived at Riverside Majesty Mall at about 1pm and began setting up immediately. Each one of us had our respective task, except me. I was going around asking for tasks and troubles. A table was set up with brochures and informed personnel to provide information, among them is Dr. Ong, who is a Gideon member. Ps. Isaac intentionally flew over from West Malaysia just to join us for the campaign. He had proven to be the most important figure that drove the event. Puspa the transgender was there to help us out too. She has definitely challenged us to break some walls of discrimination. Ruby, Jolene and Hui Zhie worked together to set up the game station. Brigger and the buskers set up the stage for busking while the rest helped with the banners and buntings. The venue looked awesome when it's done.
The Busking team
One of the placards
We put on some placards and banner on ourselves and tried to attract attention. I approached a few people but one couples who are probably at their 50s got my attention. As I tried to open a conversation, the man remarked: "Why would you want to approach the older people? No, tell it to the young ones." I wonder if to that man, HIV can only be transmitted through sex. I smiled and invited him to stay, which he refused. He went off and he returned after a while. This time, I only smiled and greeted him. He then came to me and said: "Stop wasting your time here. Go distribute condoms. When passion is high for the young people, nothing else go through their minds anymore." Before I could reply, he turned and left with his wife. There could have been so much perception changed for him, if only he would care to stay and listen. I guess sometimes, the biggest roadblock to learning is thinking that we already know it.

On some of the placards, it writes "I am HIV+, would you hug me?" Little did we know, we were taking up the roles of a HIV+. Along the way, we experienced rejection, people's judgement, disgust and etc. Of course, some were supportive and willing to embrace us. Some stayed and enjoyed the busking.

I was in the busking team playing my ukulele. It was fun and exciting. We sang several songs such as Selamat Hari Raya, Don't Worry Be Happy, I'm Yours, Price Tags, Flashlight and etc. We also presented our newly written song about HIV/AIDS which I titled it "Open Your Eyes". The song challenged its audience to step out of what is comfortable to embrace the sick and discriminated.

Again I find the song Flashlight speaking close to my heart. We are a ray of hope for the discriminated and affected. We are flashlights to be turned on and shine.
Campaign banner
It was soon games session. I took over the microphone and my MC mode turned on. In my limited BM, we invited some of our supporters to join the game. The game involves spinning a wheel to randomly choose a question and to answer the question correctly, the participant has to throw a ball into the correct box. It was a refreshing time for me. I truly enjoy the stage, like I have shared with so many before, that I can be completely transformed and feel empowered by the microphone.
Open busking
It was busking time again. One of the most memorable busking moment was finding the fascination of Aiman, a 1-year-old baby, at my ukulele. It completely captured his attention and he became very close to me. Ruby wanted the attention too, so I passed her my Ukulele and there he followed. Aiman opened a great opportunity for conversation with his father. As I spoke to him, I invited him to come know HIV/AIDS better.

HIV/AIDS campaign ended at about 6pm. We celebrated. The numbers didn't matter, we got the message through and we all learned something in the process: to experience and feel the pain of rejection, humiliation and discrimination, that we may better empathize. It was impactful for me.

The people need to know. People fear out of ignorance and in ignorance and fear they reject and discriminate. So then, how can I be a voice and advocate for them? Perhaps I can educate as I raise this topic in my daily conversation with people. Most importantly, let my life be an oddity, that people may see and imitate.
SWEEPers
God's Character, My Encounter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had Walked Away

That Sea Raging in Me

November? No, Remember! Part 4