SWEEP Day 3: Embracing The Sick

Today's devotion is taken from Mark 1:40-44 where we see the compassionate Jesus healed a leper who came to Him, begging for healing. True healing comes from Jesus and it brings reconciliation. How can I be an agent of reconciliation for the sick and despised.
Morning Groupie (from left): Ruby, Myself, Jason and Shally
Always reminds me
of Rizman.
There is much expectation for today. I had always wanted to approach a HIV person, but my fear and ignorance often stops me. We arrived at Breakthrough Youth Center. That place is my childhood heaven. An awesome place filled with book, toys, music instruments and a kitchen!!!

Mrs. Sim, one of our facilitators today, asked me to lead an icebreaking game. Totally unexpected. I thought she was only asking for a volunteer for her game, I did not know that I was expected to conduct one. Well, thank God that I always have some tricks up my sleeves from my scouting years. We had a fun time learning action song "Love Grows Under The Wild Oak Tree" and action game "Tiger Hunting".

The session began with Dr. Ithirani's informative presentation on HIV, current statistics, spread, available aid and treatment as well as prevention. Various efforts from the cooperation of NGOs and the government have made HIV control and reduction very effective. While some measures are controversial, they are measures of desperation. It really challenged me as Christian: is this morally right to do, even when it may help the situation? The ultimate root of the problem has always been sin.
Tiger Hunting!
Dr. Ithirani speaking on HIV/AIDS.
The session continued after lunch, where Mrs. Sim gave each of us a scenario: how would I respond to my friend if I suspect that I may be a HIV+ patient? We unanimously agreed that we would find excuses to cover up that fact. We were also given scenarios where we have to make moral decisions. Finally, through the "Wildfire" games, we learned that random, unprotected sex makes the spread of HIV easier. Mrs. Sim gave us the ABC of HIV: Abstinence, Be Faithful or Condoms. As for me, I will always choose abstinence.
What would Ruby, Hui Zhie, Jason and I do?
Rachel, Jolene, Philip and Asher presenting on "What would I do?"
David
Pastor Isaac
Pastor Isaac from Crisis Home took over the session. Crisis Home is a shelter and halfway home for drug addicts and HIV patients. Pastor Isaac shared how Christians can be a helping hand and embrace for HIV patient. He shared that helping an AIDS patient is not always easy. It takes time, patience and love. But living with a HIV patient is no different from living with any other person. He then invited David from Crisis Home to share his story with us. We were all taken aback when David revealed that he is a HIV+. He was in the same room with all of us from morning to evening, yet there was not a hint. So afterall, it's really no difference. It really broke a whole lot of stigma, when Pastor shared a drink with David, from the same bottle. We were deeply impacted by the action.

The session ended with a time of brain storming for campaign ideas in the coming World AIDS Day in December. Our group suggested Run For Life: HIV/AIDS Awareness Marathon. It includes setting up the marathon, HIV screening and health checkups, HIV educational talks, Selfie contest #NotAfraidOfHIV and etc. The facilitator liked our suggestions very much.
Of course, GROUPIE!
We arrived back at FES Office for our reflection and sharing session. We shared some of our thoughts on the session as well as personal encounters with high risk activities and group of people. Personally, I must admit the fear that I experience when interacting with HIV+. When Isaac demonstrated how we can share food with David, he offered the same drink to me. I hesitated, despite the fact that I have the very knowledge in me. I have a lot to work on that.
Group Photo from HIV/AIDS session
I really enjoyed tonight's dinner, it's SARAWAK KOLO MEE!!! It tastes a lot better than the one I had in Penang, like A LOT!
Kolo Mee. I had two packets.
YB Baru Bian playing a guitar and singing his song.
Tonight, it's YB Baru Bian session again. He started with a time of singing and worship. He then continued to tell his life story of how he found God and his conviction to seek justice for the voiceless. He also shared a song he wrote at the time. YB spoke to us on the current social and political issues. It really broke my heart not only because that the native people of Sarawak is losing their rights over their own land and their lifelihood, but also because that I was completely ignorant to the struggle of my fellow brother in East Malaysia. Yet the persistence and resilience of YB continued to defend the voiceless and poor. When asked about his motivation, he remarked that it was first his calling from God to defend justice for the poor and oppressed, and also because it was his own home and people that was oppressed.

YB Baru Bian. A true servant in humility. Despite his
position as a political leader, he was willing to come to
a small place among us and spoke to us.
I think what really stayed with me tonight was YB Baru Bian's word about spiritual discipline. He encouraged us to develop a firm foundation of spiritual discipline in devotion and prayer in our youth, because these disciplines are harder to develop when we begin our career and these disciplines will be a pillar to us.

YB ended his session with this:
To make effective contribution in our ministry, whether it be politics or social service or whatever, we need to start with our personal relationship to Christ. We can't give out more than we have within. Only through Christ living in us will we have the energy, the wisdom, the compassion, the vision, and the patience we need. We have to start with the relationship and grow in that relationship. Christ will lead, he will direct, he will present opportunities to glow for Him. Just be ready and available.

Tomorrow will be the start of our attachment. What is waiting for me? Labour? Sweat? Or fear? Or excitement? So much to look forward to. But for now, goodnight!
GROUPIE again! with YB Baru Bian
God's Character, My Encounter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had Walked Away

That Sea Raging in Me

November? No, Remember! Part 4