SWEEP Day 2: The Alpha

The day starts earlier in Kuching. Just as Andre said, the sun rises an hour earlier in East Malaysia. Today's devotion read Genesis 1:26-31 where we had a glimpse of the responsibility that the Lord put Adam incharge: to rule over His creation. David will be leaving after the first part of Creation Care session. He was expecting a second baby and I am excited for him.
(From left): Fadricks, David and myself
Entrance of Semenggoh Botanical Research Centre
To put today's theme: Creation Care in perspective, we began our journey to Semenggoh Botanical Research Center (Entrance Fee: RM5). We observed Orang Utan in their natural habitat, and Joshua, who is our guide and session leader today explained the conservation effort and rehabilitation work done for the Orang Utan. We were blessed by the sight of Ritchie, the Alpha male Orang Utan. They were peacefully eating but sufficient space must be given to Ritchie because an Alpha can be aggressive when his territory is threatened. Several other facts were given to us as well. For example, Orang Utan builds a new nest everyday as they migrate from one place to another. When forest area is reduced by human logging activities, they are forced to recycle nest locations, which can be unhealthy for the Orang Utan. At the information centre, we found out that one of the Orang Utan baby was named Ruby. Everyone was excited and Ruby tagged along the fun with sport! When asked where her hometown is, she replied with a poker face: dari hutan (from the forest). Everyone laughed hysterically.
Ritche (right most) is eating supplements provided by the research center's staff.
Ritchie is a good swinger despite his body size and mass.
(From left): Myself, Kenny, Rachel and Jolene
(From left): Aaron, Asher, Kenny, Philip, Arryca and myself.
Groupie at Semenggoh Wildlife Centre
Richard (left) and Peter (in yellow) with their ugliest face. Jeremy with his thumb-up.
One of my favourite things to do is to take close up photos of flowers.
Burung Hantu with boys
Burung Hantu with girls
Our journey brought us to Mount Sinai. Sorry, I mean Mt. Singai. Before our lunch, Joshua led us through a short, off-road trail in blindfold and barefoot, in a game called Burung Hantu. In this activity we used all our senses except our sight to experience the forest. In the reflection, Joshua remarked that technology has heightened our sense of sight so much, we hardly use our other senses to experience the nature. Have I used my sense of sight so much, that I am blinded to the needs around me, that I have failed to feel the cry of suffering people around me? Food for thought.

After lunch, we began our hike up to Mt. Singai along a wooden trail. Along the trail, the Catholics built 14 Stations of the Cross. We made stops to reflect, where Joshua read Scripture portions of the Bible that mentioned trees and nature in the work of God. I was amazed how God was making use of His Creation in almost every important event and we often miss it.
Joshua (left with smartphone) read out Scripture as we take a stop at one of the stations.
At the top of Mt. Singai built a Catholic church. The area is huge and well equipped, but none of these were built easy. Each tile and brick was carried up by hikers and the church manually. I had problem trying to even carry myself up, I cannot imagine what kind of work the church members had to do to build this place up.
The first-to-arrive group
SWEEP 2015 first groupie
At the amphitheater, we shared our thoughts on Creation Care and what we have learned. I had always loved the nature, yet my lifestyle of consumerism is not really helpful. Looking at the Scripture, it is clear that God put the humankind in-charge of the care for His creation. I think we ought to be responsible. And to be honest, I am not doing a very good job. I would love to quote Joshua's word, which is very often missed by many: We have no control over the consequences of our choices, but we have control over the choices that we make.
Sharing at amphitheater.
The downhill journey was felt shorter than the uphill journey, thanks to Joshua's interesting stories in his line of work. Joshua is involved with Orang Utan and forest conservation research. He is in this field because it is his calling. He shared that knowing this calling is a long process of struggling and waiting. He said it was necessary to establish a conviction upon his heart, so that he will not give up even when situations may be life threatening. He also shared with me how his effort in conserving the nature actually brought threat upon his life. But instead, he reacted in gentleness and many years later, the person who threatened to kill him became one of the most influential benefactor of his organisation. We praised God for the persuasive power of God.

CONVICTION. That got me thinking about my life after SWEEP and everything. Is God asking me to wait? When is God going to call me? How will He put this conviction upon my heart? Maybe Pastor Matthew is right, I shall work and serve diligently, His calling will come in His timing, when I least expect it.

Philip Challenged the Alpha Male
We spent the entire morning and afternoon outdoor. It was about 4:00pm when we arrived. We rested and took turn to shower. It's my turn to lead the worship tonight, so I picked a few songs that is easy to play. Asher was my guitarist. It was fun practising with him. He knows very well what needs to be done to build up the atmosphere. Kenny decided to play the cajon at the last minute.

I don't know why I am constantly hungry for the past two days, but for me, dinner couldn't come sooner. I ate twice as much as I normally do. The boys were too bored after dinner, we challenged each other for pull up, jokingly said that this is the Alpha Male Challenge. It was a good past time.

It was time for worship, so I arrived earlier to setup and did our last practice. Though the worship did not go as I planned, but it was good. I think I have learned to let the worship to take care of itself.

YB Baru Bian speaking.
I like the night session today. It was a theological breakdown on "Sins and Evil". Our speaker, YB Baru Bian is a Lumbawang-born politician, serving as a PKR Leader in Sarawak. You might recognise his face from newspapers particularly in the politic section. YB begin introducing the beginning of the original sin of Adam, which leads to its effect and consequences against our relationship with God, with our neighbours, with ourselves, with our environment and with our limited time (death). The great news is that the story does not end there. Jesus is the answer that will reconcile our relationship and ultimately bring forth the ultimate glory of humanity when He comes again. I am certainly eager for His glorious return.

After a time of reflection, it was time for announcing our attachments! It was a very fun time of hilarious background music and introductions. I'll be working with Fadricks, Jolene, Sandra and Kenny in Breakthrough Natural Farming. Breakthrough is an organisation that empowers the poor to develop income through farming as well as other community works. I don't know what to expect but I am excited.
Attachment assigned: BreakThrough Natural Farming
I don't know what sense to make of today. I thoroughly enjoyed today, particularly the friendship that I have built with the guys and Joshua. I am looking forward to the attachment this coming Monday. Tomorrow will be a day of adventure. Understanding the HIV/AIDS patients was something that I had been wanting to do. I can't deny the fact that I am thoroughly excited.
(From left)
(Top): Foster (Joshua's brother), Joshua, Peter, GJ
(Center): Aaron, Kenny, Fadricks, Philip, Asher, Jeremy and Su Jian
(Bottom): Myself and Jason
Lord God, I ask of You to keep me healthy and strong, that I may be ready to learn and to know what You have in store for me. I shall wait patiently.

God's Character, My Encounter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had Walked Away

That Sea Raging in Me

November? No, Remember! Part 4