SWEEP Day 5: Conviction?

Today's devotion is taken from Hebrews 13:1-3. The Scripture challenges me to empathize and share in suffering with those who are working to serve others. It also challenged me to be vulnerable in order to be hospitable for anyone who is lonely, enstranged and despised.
Work starts! Laying out the net.
We left a little late today for attachment. Jeremy was our driver. Despite how he may appear, one must never underestimate his driving skill. Well, at least we arrived in one piece. Su had started the work as early as 8am.

The sun was again merciless. We began our work nonetheless. Today, the girls started sewing the net while the guys covered the exposed nails with reused plastic bottles. We also took some clay-ish soil to fill up some potholes. The work was no joke, especially under the sun.
Moving the composts into position. First attempt for wheelbarrow.
Stuck and struggling.
I was thinking what was holdin the girls up, so I took over the 30cm long needle and tried it out myself. It was only after 2 tries, I became horribly confused and my mind just stopped working. It was not an easy task at all.
While resting with Su under the durian tree, we rekindled yesterday's topic on durian tree plantation. Su explained to me how durian tree "cross-breeding" works. It begins with two durian trees of different traits grew from their seed. Then, when they grow to the height of about 20cm, the bark of one of the tree is splitted without peeling while a piece of the bark of another tree is cut and slipped in between the splits. This method is used to grow durian tree of specific trait for more than 50 years. He also shared how to pick and choose a durian.

Making a hole for the
compost.
We spent an extended lunch time discussing on last night's topic by Peter: social discrimination. Each of us had our fair share of discrimination encounters. As each of us shared our respective experiences of being discriminated, I kept quiet the whole time. I tried to remember moments where I felt discriminated, but I can find none. Instead, I find so much instances where I discriminated those I deemed weaker. As a Patrol Leader, Troop Leader and a Scouter, I had often verbally abused and demeaned the weaker member as I felt the position of the team was threatened by their existence. It was terrible and selfish of me. Today, I thank God for His life-changing, attitude-changing grace that saved me. Today, I only feel sorry for what I had done. 
The girls (including Fadricks) sewing the net, why Kenny looking sexy at the back.
Su joined us later for lunch, which was a great opportunity for the team to hear his story. I shared his story in my previous post.

Some new shoots on
"Cangkuk Manis"
We continued the next part of today's work. We finally began to move the packed compost into the soon-to-be greenhouse area. It was a lot of moving and carrying work, which then escalated into a lot of digging to secure the compost. Unfortunately, we did not intend to stay later than 3pm today for there will be a program at 4:30pm. But we all had so much fun working, we were all reluctant to leave.

I think I had too much sugar, I was thoroughly excited during the game session. I was the first to wait for departure, during which I finally met our long-awaited Sophia! Her familiar and friendly smile immediately registered in my brain. We arrived at the Malaysia-China Friendship Park for Captain Ball. Even though we were tired, but we all had fun nonetheless. My team brought home the victory, thanks to Kenny's energy, Rachel and Jolene's flawless cooperation, Shally, Lynereny and Hui Zhie's persistence, Ruby and Fadrick's faithful defense as well as Richard's strategic passes.
Pre-game group photo.
Warming up!
Captain ball!
Pastor Daron Tan
Tonight we had Ps. Daron Tan to speak to us on the framework of social works in Malaysia. He began by mentioning his own involvement with International Disaster Response Network (IDRN). He then introduced some international social work organisation as well as the local. He also explained in detail the different levels of involvement in social work. Tonight, he focused on the overall introduction and picture of social work in Malaysia. He will continue to speak to us tomorrow night.

The highlight of the day was discovering the resounding theme of my trip: CONVICTION. It was convictions that drove people like Joshua, Su, YB Baru Bian, the FES staff and etc to continue serving in humility, dedication and diligence. And such conviction comes from God's command for us as well as His everlasting and overflowing love. Conviction could probably be the explanation why so many of them would selflessly give up their opportunity to get so much more for themselves than they are today. I am worried if I could discover that conviction in this trip too. I thank Brigger for comforting me, saying that it is completely okay even if I would go back empty handed. But, what if I go back empty handed?

Post-Session groupie.
God's Character, My Encounter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had Walked Away

That Sea Raging in Me

November? No, Remember! Part 4