SWEEP Day 6: Milestone!

Mark 12:38-44 illustrated the principles and core idea of the Law: to love our God with our entire being and to love our neighbour as ourselves. Therefore we ought to ask, how would I want to be treated if I am suffering from HIV? Or when I have nothing to eat? No way to go to school? Or have no capability to take care of myself? In that same way, I ought to serve others.

Today, we arrived late as usual despite our effort to make it early. That's why we began work immediately. Today our main activities will be to put up the netting and piping.
More villagers came to help today!
While waiting for the rafia strings to arrive, we fixed some loose plastic cover for the nails. These covers are important to keep the nail from tearing the netting. Su came out with an ingenius idea to tie strings to the corners of the netting and some small weight at the other end of the string to help the work. The strings worked as a lead as we pull the netting up and over the supports. It was no easy work, but thanks to our flawless cooperation and coordination, it worked perfectly. I cannot describe the excitement and sense of fulfillment as we watch the netting covered the area. I could see the smile slowly widening on Su's face. He was completely thrilled.
Level 1
Level 2
Level 3
Stage Completed!
The netting work was yet to be completed, but it marked a great milestone for our 3 days of work. The transformation from nothing into something was truly a blessed sight to behold. As we worked diligently over the past 3 days, we actually inspired the people that Su was trying to teach, to come and join us for the work that was supposedly theirs. I asked Brigger if such number is a norm, he remarked that it was not always so. I guess we really made some impact in one way.
Milestone!
Found some bamboo
shoots.
The villagers found some bamboo shoots. When I saw that I was thrilled. Bamboo shoot is a wonderfully tender delicacy cook in porridge, soup or even fried with chili and sambal. Today, the Bidayuh villagers offered to cook for us, but too bad I chose to fast today. They also found some Umbun Pisang (Banana Tree Trunk) which looks a little like brinjal when cooked. They all tasted great, or so they said.

I saw a beautiful picture of love today as they eat. Joining us was the Down's Syndrome girl, Siska. With tenderly care, Jolene and Sandra took great care of her. She is completely capable of eating by herself. As she ate with Jolene and Sandra, she began to develop trust for them. After her meal, she got so comfortable, she was lying down on Sandra's lap. I must admit I still find myself repelled by Down's Syndrome children. They make me uncomfortable when they are around. Yet, with such great love, Jolene and Sandra were able to show such care for people, at which I admire.
Jolene and Sandra spending quality time with Siska.
We had a great time over lunch, savoring the success of the day as we look at the greenhouse with such pride, gladness and gratitude for the Lord.

The work continued with the piping work. We laid out the pipes along the arrays of compost, while some continued to arrange the remaining compost. Su taught me how to connect the pipes, which was, to my surprise, really easy. Then we moved on to connecting the smaller pipes which will be sprayer for each compost. We waved Su goodbye at 2pm.
Laying down more compost. Piping ready at the back.
The girls are certainly having fun.
On the way back, I almost broke my fast. Right beside me was a piece of candy which I did not give much thought before opening it. This fast was taken up as I remember my Muslim friends who are also fasting during the month of Ramadhan. Think about it, fasting is an act that takes a conscious effort and it is especially not easy when you need to wake up early to prepare for the fast and consciously resist your body's constant prompt for physical needs. In this act of worship, it really does put us Christians to shame. But as I almost tasted failure, I am also glad because the salvation offered to us through Christ's death on the cross is completely grace through faith, not by our works. Otherwise, we would all be destined for a chase after the wind. This is why I kept this fast: to worship Him who deserves all worship, praise and honor. We rested for the afternoon.

Jason giving a token of
appreciation to Ps. Daron
Today, Ps. Daron continued to encourage us to be actively involved with social work. Referring to the Parable of the Good Samaritan, he explained that Jesus called the church to love her neighbour, to meet the needs of the community around her. He also exposed two roadblocks of social work: selfishness and pride. He suggested some ways that students can begin involving in social work.

I personally think that the church plays a vital role in driving a successful social work. The church can provide, support and spiritually encourage social workers. Unfortunately, churches are often taught to see results in the number of converts or people coming to church instead of wholeheartedly serve with love and with no intention. While the goal may be conversion, but it comes naturally when Christians are serving with the true intention to love.

Tomorrow will be the last for our attachment. It's best we put in our last effort and say proper goodbye. There is much feeling going on here. I wish I could stay and help, yet I don't think I belong here. However, it is now then my job to bring this word out, that there is an opportunity to live out Christ's calling for us through sweat, labour and perseverance.
Post-session group photo!
God's Character, My Encounter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had Walked Away

That Sea Raging in Me

November? No, Remember! Part 4