Leading Emergency Lane

And he said to his disciples, “Temptations to sin (stumbling blocks) are sure to come, but woe to the one through whom they come! It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were cast into the sea than that he should cause one of these little ones to sin (stumble). 
Luke 17:1-2
It was indeed an enjoyable trip back home. I'm not sure if it's a blessing but for the last few trips back home including this one, someone in my extended family is set to win some lottery money. I'm regard it as a blessing anyway because I get to eat good and expensive food, for free! I'll gratefully enjoy what is given to me.

I thank God for the long Merdeka weekend that I spent, but it's finally time to go home. But the trip back to Penang was not easy. Multiple maintenance project and the heavy downpour is slowing the traffic at certain places. It's really frustrating when I was enjoying the speed and had to slow down because of the traffic jam.

But what frustrated me most was the inconsideration of certain road users. For a few instances I was taken by surprise when a car would suddenly appear on my left. I was at this particular jam where three lanes is shrunk to two because of maintenance work on the left. It was just a minor work, so the jam was not terrible. However, someone decided that he could wait no more, and illegally cut into the emergency lane.

Now it's interesting that I took notice of this phenomena. For about the first 5-minute, everyone is obedient to the law and no one illegally uses the emergency lane. Then, you would see one particular car would stick his head one, and drive on it. Here's what is interesting, you would start to see several cars behind him do the same.

Humans have a tendency to be led astray. Jesus describes us as sheep without a shepherd. A sheep can be easily led astray when there is one sheep that decides to do something stupid. That is also why is it easier to herd sheep than it is to herd cats (proven by Myth Busters). In the same way, when there is one driver that decides to break the law, it sends out a message "Since he is doing it, I guess it's okay to do it. Everyone does it anyway."

It is interesting how Jesus detests such people: People who leads others astray, who causes others to stumble. He went to the length to describe the kind of death they deserve. I'm not to sure of the significance of having a millstone hung around one's neck and thrown into the sea, but I'm pretty sure that I would not want to be the stumbling block.

But here the good news, this leading astray works the same way for positive actions as well. The Internet does not lack good examples for that happen. In an environment of great evil or oppression, even as someone takes courage to stand up for justice and righteousness, it empowers others to do the same.

As Christians we are called to be a power for courage, justice and righteousness, living in a world filled with evil, injustice and unrighteousness. So let's stand for righteousness, when a great many others choose to sin, let us choose life. And we shall be a beacon for others to follow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had Walked Away

That Sea Raging in Me

November? No, Remember! Part 4