Give Me Just Enough

Being a PPSL sure has benefit by its own. I am privileged to be able to attend several useful talks and seminars.

Here I was again, helping out as technical team, at a Entrepreneurship forum. I was a little taken aback by the panel's sudden survey: "Siapa nak jadi kaya angkat tangan. (Those who wants to be rich please raise your hand.)" I was even more surprised by the almost immediate response from the I-don't-really-care-about-the-talk students. More than 3 quarters of students raised their hands, among them I could identify some Christian juniors.

I didn't write this so to make these brothers and sisters look materialistic and terrible. I myself was tempted to be a part to admit this great desire. I mean, who doesn't want to hold all the money in the world and be the most powerful man. I do.

But Agur, oracle of Proverbs 30 desires a different thing from the Lord.

Two things I ask of you; deny them not to me before I die: Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny you and say, "Who is the Lord?" or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God." Proverbs 30:7-8
Agur asked two things of the Lord, to put it simply: Integrity and Provision. These two are terribly lacking in many University students, which include myself.

You'd be surprised by the fact that University students will not hesitate to put on a false self, and lie about their true capabilities and capacities. Plagiarism is the first to show such symptoms. In order to meet the requirement of the lecturers, many would plagiarise. What's more surprising is that, even lecturers, indirectly encourage such actions.

How is there any glory in such work? Would it be so hard to submit an incomplete yet genuine assignment? Or would it be so hard to negotiate an extension? However, for many, something bigger is at stake now. Results, future, reputation, which none of us is willing to lose. Even at the cost of our integrity and principles, we would defend it and grip on it!

Do we trust God enough to provide? Then why do we study as if there is no hope? As if God wouldn't provide? As if our future can only be secure by our frantic hard work? If God is our refuge, and this world is not a permanent place for us, why do we constantly worry about tomorrow?

Wealth and Integrity. Your choice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had Walked Away

That Sea Raging in Me

November? No, Remember! Part 4