Kaki Bukit Mission Trip Day 5: Reminder

(It's about time to get this over with. It's exactly two months since the trip.)

1. A Lazy Morning
Zeson was such a good roommate: he didn't snore and he didn't fart. All was well! Or maybe I was just too tired to sleep through the night. Unfortunately, we needed to leave earlier than I want to. Pastor Aek was waiting for us at the lobby. We loaded our stuff and checked out early.

You wouldn't believe what we had for breakfast: Malaysian food. =.= We crossed the border just to have Malaysian food in Thailand. It was not a bad idea actually. The food was cheap and it actually taste better. Best thing was, the sellers spoke Malay. 

2. Dannok Praise Center
I wasn't too sure how I could prepare myself to meet with church people who doesn't speak my language. Entering the sanctuary was awkward for me because I even forgot how to say "Sawadee krap!" Maybe I'm afraid if I begin with that, they would assume that I can speak Thai and start to speak Thai to me. Haha, you get that feeling too didn't you?!
Dannok Praise Center
There were about 40 people in the sanctuary, ranging from about 15 to 50 years old. They took quite a while to finally begin their worship. But there wasn't silence in the waiting. They were constantly praying and singing praises until the service began. The worship lasted for more than an hour. I find a certain allure to Thai songs: some songs were familiar as they were translated, some songs were catchy. I wish I could understand what they sing.

After the worship, they took half an hour to go through each prayer items. I have not been to a church that spend such a long time before the sermon. Yet there was a certain beauty to that flow: to praise God and worship Him first, then to come to Him in petition and listen to His Word after.

Despite being his first time on a mission trip, he took up the challenge to share his testimony during a service. He spoke in his native and fluent Hokkien which was then translated into Thai. Bravo!
Yik sharing his testimony in Hokkien
3. Most Confusing Sermon ever
When the apostles gave us a picture of nations of every tongue coming together to bow to God in worship, I often get a picture of a wondrous, majestic time of glorifying God. But until the day of completion comes, this can be a really big problem.

Sarah was given the opportunity to stand behind the pulpit. It was stressful for her as the task charged to her wasn't easy. She did a wonderful job preparing the sermon. It was originally in English, but when she got wind that there will be someone translating from Mandarin to Thai, she spent sleepless nights translating the script she prepared. Unfortunately, none of that prepared her to face what was about to happen: the Mandarin-to-Thai translator was left undefined. The service leader is a Thai-born Chinese, who can barely understand some Hokkien and none of Mandarin.

All of the sudden, there was as if a dramatic entrance of a hero *cue One Punch Man Music* even as Auntie Li Fang stood up and volunteered to translate from Mandarin to Hokkien!

But this could be the most confusing scene you have ever seen. Sarah preached in Mandarin, Auntie Li Fang translated it to Hokkien which was then translated to Thai by the service leader. It was really tough on Sarah. By the grace of God, she finished it, albeit rather confusingly.
Sarah preaching from the pulpit with Auntie Li Fang
Along the way, there were some translation hiccups. The service leader couldn't catch the Hokkien and the church chairman (man in green) chipped in some translation for him. He seemed to understand Hokkien better than the service leader. At one point, the service leader wanted to hand the microphone over to him but he declined. After the service, we approached him and remarked that he could understand Hokkien well. All of the sudden, he replied in a very standard Mandarin: "哦,我听得懂的是中文!我是泰国华侨。(Oh, I couldn't. I understood the Mandarin. I am a Thai-born Chinese.) WHAT THE F....fatty-fatty bum bum, curi-curi jagung! He could have went up and get it done beautifully. Wah piang! LOL I could see the anger in Sarah's eyes.

Ai Hua and the children Sunday School
4. Meanwhile, Ai Hua Doing Ai-Hua-thing.
Yea, teaching children. Ai Hua was excited to meet the children. Despite the fact that I don't see eye-to-eye with Ai Hua in a lot of things, I must honestly express my admiration for her love for God and children and her dedication to see the Gospel of God preached. In her I see a relentless love for people and her passion to see that salvation come upon people. In her I see a faith that overcomes trials and suffering with humility. In her I see a joy that springs from pain and disappointment. I hate to say this, but I have so much to learn from her.

She remained upstairs the entire time teaching the children Sunday School in the language that the kids may or may not understand. They sang our favourite Thai mission song "Jesus Loves Me This I know - Thai Version".

5. A Hearty Lunch and A Goodbye
The church prepared a luncheon for us. It was a grand one. We had a great time of connecting with the church and also a extended photo session.
(From Left) Pastor and Mrs. Lim, Pastor Aek, Ai Hua and Pastor Matthew
Oh, did I forget to mention that my nightmare came back to haunt me? Yup, but we took a very meaningful photo.

And then a goodbye.

6. My Final Attempt at Cheap Beer
Sigh, God was saying: I will keep you!

I couldn't get my beer because Lotus Tesco does not allow purchase of alcohol before 5pm. *Cry a lot*

7. Naming the Journey
As with the tradition of FES, I gave this mission trip a name. Giving a name helps me to summarize my encounter with God during the trip in 5 words or less. I named this journey "Reminder". From the beginning of the trip until the end of the trip, God had not ceased to remind me of who He is. Before the trip began, He reminded me the reason for a mission: that I may taste and see the glory of God as He works. During the trip, He reminded me that He is ultimately in control of everything that goes under the sun: the changes, the timing of things, the providence for His work. At the end of the trip, He reminded me to continue to serve Him in obedience and in the ordinary. He reminded me that He decides the outcome of my labor and service, my calling is to obey.

Before the trip, I was in dilemma whether to begin serving in the youth ministry. I didn't see myself remaining in Penang in the next 2 years, so I was afraid that if I begin to serve, I would start something I cannot finish. I don't wanna start something and then leave things hanging for the youth.

But little did I realize my arrogance: to think that I have any major role to manipulate or to influence the work of God. It was arrogant to think that what I do decides what God wants to do in the youth. It is the work of the Holy Spirit, not mine, to build this youth. I am called to obey Him, to diligently serve and to humbly carry the cross and follow Him.

God used what I thought I remember, and answered the pressing question upon my heart. I thank God for this journey. And as with all my other missions before this, I did not regret making the decision to go.

God's Character, My Encounter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Sea Raging in Me

If I Had Walked Away

November? No, Remember! Part 4