My Internship with Pastor Matthew

This one month has been an eye-opening, mind-blowing and attitude-changing time of learning. Coming back from SWEEP ignited my passion for social work. I was looking at every opportunity to involve myself in one. However, there is a limit where my optimism can take me in the world of reality.
Pastor Matthew and I at Bon Odori
I didn’t know what to expect for this internship. As a man of action, I was hoping to see actions, but instead I had a lot of time for reflection. At such times I felt uneasy. Pastoral work requires creativity that drives initiatives and self-motivation. In times of inaction, a pastor needs to find gaps to fill in. In times of quietness, a pastor needs a spirit to listen to God’s leadership and guidance.

Me sharing at
Youth Fellowship
I was required to preach on the 26th July. I believe it was God’s perfect plan that the sermon was done prior to my class in MBTS. It prepared a context in which I could relate to the subject. My burning passion for social work directed my interpretation of the Bible, in which I found my sermon was a narrow exposition of the Scripture. As I revised the sermon after the mission, I found better and wider perspective with the help of Pastor Matthew. The sermon was the longest in the history of LXBC, not really something to be proud of. I might need to look into rehearsing my timing next time.

The mission trip to Chumpon Thailand was also an amazing journey. I witnessed the wondrous work of God in that place and I am convinced that God has opened the spiritual doors of Thailand. We were able to reach out to about 300 students and about 50 students and kids came to Christ. The work of the local church in Chumpon had seen harvest during our visit. It really impacted me when one of the student walked up to me after I shared my testimony and asked: “How can I know your God?” I panicked and asked Pastor Matthew to take over. He accepted Jesus and many more after him. However, I must admit, the mission did not impact me the way I wished it would. I did not feel driven nor convicted for mission. I wished I could hear that calling, but I did not.
Mission team's crazy photo before Rotary Club dinner
My time at the Seminary was also an eye-opening one. I believe it was good that came out of the bad, when Dr. Vincent Ooi took over the class. I had difficulty following the reading material given as I had to switch my thinking pattern from that of an engineer to a philosopher. Yet when Dr. Vincent was teaching, he simplified what was difficult and he did it without feeding us with information but with discussions. The subject helped me to identify and be aware of my own bias and lenses that may affect the way I read the Scripture: my background, my experience, my culture and etc. It has also helped me to see that while the church may be divided in the interpretation of the Scripture, love must leads us and guides us even though there may be differences. Love keeps the church together for the glory of God.

Pastoral ministry is never an easy one. Its nature differs from secular profession because pastors are hired not by interviews but by callings. Without conviction to drive us, a pastor cannot move forward in times of rejection and hindrance. Without a persistent reliance on God, a pastor cannot continue to labor without fruit. I saw and experience the work of a pastor to serve his sheep, and there are much to experience. Sadly I could not find that conviction, but this experience reaffirmed my passion to serve as a layman, faithfully.
Beautiful Cabana Beach at Chumpon
I thank God for His timely providence and guidance along the way. I must thank Pastor Matthew for his relentless patience in teaching and discipling me. I thank my sponsors for providing my basic needs and expenditures. It had been wonderful because of you.

God's Character, My Encounter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had Walked Away

That Sea Raging in Me

November? No, Remember! Part 4