Moth and Rust

After more than 2 years of wearing my golden key necklace, I finally had to take it off my neck. I was bathing when I realised that golden key is going to fall off the chain any time soon. The connecting loop seems to be corroded and opened. I cannot risk carrying it around. One fine day it will just fall off and gone is my precious gift from my dad. A closer examination at the connecting loop found that the loop is corroded by the repetitive grazing between the loop and the chain. I must be losing some tiny amount of gold every day.

2 years ago when my dad gave it to me, I was so excited. It is the same necklace that my dad wore for years before giving it to me. It was a recognition of my adulthood and complete trust for my freedom. I swore I was going to wear it until my son reach 21 years old. I simply forgot the fact that nothing last forever. I was naive.

This simply reminds me of Jesus' Word:
“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 
Matthew 6:19-20
A lot of time, many people experience heartbreak because we often expect things to last forever. A husband expects his wife's youth last forever; a wife expects his husband's unchanging passion for love; a son expects his parents to live forever. Yet, all things in this corrupted, cursed world decay and disintegrate. As old things come to pass, new things come into existence. Death surrounds us far closer than we know. As we read this, a part of us just died.

But as everything seems to be eternally hopeless, comes a ray of hope through the virgin birth in a manger. Jesus Christ, born of the incorruptible seed of God (1 Peter 1:23 ASV), has come to defeat death (1 Cor. 15:55). When all men is destined for doom (John 3:18, Romans 3:23), He came to bring eternal life (John 3:16)

As all things on earth fades away, just as my golden key fades away, Jesus shifted our focus on what is eternal. He promised us of a treasure only attainable through Him, because Christ is eternal, as the Father is eternal. This treasure in heaven is far more glorious and precious than anything we can have on earth, and nothing can destroy them.

In the same way, as we deal with heartbreaks and loss, turn our eye upon Jesus, in whom we have the promise of eternity.

God's Character, My Encounter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Sea Raging in Me

If I Had Walked Away

November? No, Remember! Part 4