The Only Way

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 
John 14:6 ESV 
Most people don't like this verse, so much so that some of us actually denies that Jesus actually said such a word. Unbelievers don't like this because it makes Christianity exclusive. For a Christian to say that this is the truth makes everyone else a liar. That's not a politically correct thing to say. But the truth is, Jesus did make such politically improper statement.

Now before any of you jump into any criticism, I make this clear that this article is not directed to unbelievers. There's no need for me to make any argument anyway: this is what Jesus said, the truth, take it or leave it. It will remain as it is even if I debate about it.

But, like I implied, I direct this to encourage you, my brothers and sisters in Christ. Truth is, if we search within our hearts hard enough, we don't like this either. It leaves us no choice but to follow Jesus. I can't do it my own way. We struggles within our heart when we search deeper: Why must Jesus be the ONLY WAY? Why can't I go to church, be a church leader of some kind, teach the Sunday School and get to the Father? Why can't I serve the young people, be the Vice President of Christian Fellowship, plan activities for Christians, hang out with my Christian friends and be saved? Why can't I live a good life, be a nice Christian, a helpful friend, say nice things as a Christian, avoid taking the joss-stick and have eternal life? Why must it be Jesus?

We often panic at this, because much of our serving and doing in church or Christian community somehow became my trademark as a Christian. The things I do define me as a Christian. Somehow, if I stop doing all these, I cease being a Christian and felt like I lost my salvation. We panic because we would lose control of how we manage our live with Jesus. We lose control over how we live our lives, our way. All that we do, thinking that it would tell other people that we are Christians, would be in vain, because only Jesus matters.

And we see that's what would happen if what we do defines who we are instead of Jesus. All the things we do perishes, eventually. There will be a day when all things will go wrong and we would lose it together. Will our identities as Christians perish too?

I'm guessing a big NO is lingering in your mind as you read this. Because somehow, someone or something is assuring us that we will remain as who we are, secured in Christ. We were bought with a price and our identity remains in God (1 Cor. 7:22-24). We are predestined for adoptions as sons through Jesus Christ (Eph. 1:4-5), and we are SEALED with the Holy Spirit (Eph. 1:13).

We are given an identity, not by work, but by grace through faith. And believe me, this faith will transform you, by the Holy Spirit, from the inside out and you will naturally manifest your identity as a follower of Jesus. No one can ever change this identity, no one can snatch us away from Jesus and remove the seal of the Holy Spirit.
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.
John 10:27-29
For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. 
Romans 8:38-39
So then if our identities are found in Christ, therefore, getting our relationship right with Him is far more important than doing all these work. Because when our relationship is right with Him, all the rest of the work will come naturally and they will naturally be God's will.
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 
John 15:4-7
So when things get too dry for us to do, and we find ourselves tired of doing it, it's time to slow down, take a break and go back to the Lord. These pauses helps us to realign our perspectives and objectives with Jesus, even as the Holy Spirit heals us and re-energizes from within our spirit. Be certain to know, that God can raise children out of stones for Abraham, He can certainly do something even if we do not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had Walked Away

That Sea Raging in Me

November? No, Remember! Part 4