A Hearty Encounter

Yesterday while I was waiting alone at PuMa Hall in campus, one Pak Guard happened to pay a brief visit, making sure things are going alright in the vicinity. We started talking, I take any opportunity to talk to any people anyway.

To my surprise, this Pak Guard, whose name I forgot to ask, had been serving as a safety officer in USM for more than 35 years, that's even before I was born. To keep the conversation alive, I asked him about his family and found out that he came from Damansara, Kuala Lumpur.

We somehow talked about politics. As I'm talking to a Muslim, I took the courage to ask his personal view on the "Allah" controversy. It was a risk to take, as many would regard this issue a sensitive one. I even had to use the word "Allah" to address the issue.

But to my surprise, he wasn't at all the "majority" Muslim that Perkasa kept talking about. He spoke on behalf of the Christians and he spoke against the money politics that go on behind Perkasa. He said (paraphrased):" How can you stop someone from saying any word? You allow the East Malaysians to use them, but what are they going to use when they come here? It's nothing about religion really, it's dirty politics going on behind! Imagine, why would an Imam speaks and advocates politics in his sermon? Religion and politics cannot go together! It's money I tell you!"

I went on to ask:" Does it confuse you, if we as Christians use the word "Allah"?" "No," he replied, "Certainly it does not! Allah is one, and if you know Him, how can you be confused?"

I heard this from a Muslim, a Malaysian who truly understand what it means to live harmoniously. He is a fellow Malaysian, a friend who also keeps me safe and sound in campus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had Walked Away

That Sea Raging in Me

November? No, Remember! Part 4