Goodbyes and Hello

Stepping into year 2017, there is much fear. In 2017, Li Xin Baptist Church will continue to move forward with the absence of Pastor Matthew and Ai Hua. For the past 6 years, they have been shouldering the church and carrying her forward, nurture young leaders to take the baton as they go. It has been difficult to say goodbye. Countless farewells and goodbyes never seem to suffice.
Personally, I am genuinely happy for Pastor. It has finally come the time for him to move on to somewhere he can grow to serve God better, where his sacrifices will be compensated. Honestly, for the time he served in LXBC, I felt that he ought to be treated better.

Mustering Courage
Losing Pastor Matthew also means that the young leaders that he and Ai Hua had been nurturing finally has an opportunity to rise up. Pastor Matthew left us a pair of big shoes to fill in, requiring almost the whole congregation to share the load.

I have been appointed as the Liaison between the English and Chinese Congregation, alongside Angela. This is definitely not an easy role for me. I've never really been someone who is meticulous and have serious memory and management issue.

As part of that role I will be chairing the congregation's meeting, conveying decisions of the church committee to the church while collecting petitions of the congregation to the committee. My biggest fear is my poor memory and will fail to deliver the responsibility vested in me.

But in that fear I find peace because of the support of all the brothers and sisters of the church. I know that I will not be alone in this service to the Lord and they will be there when I fall. And above all, I find my peace in my Lord Jesus Christ through whom there is all-sufficient grace. I know that when I fall and fail, God is not far away and will pick me up again.

Mastering Pride
In the absence of Pastor Matthew, there is also fear where my pride will overcome me even as I serve this position of leadership. I have a tendency to have a bloated self-worth and it has always been Pastor Matthew that bring me back down to earth again. But then again, in the absence of Pastor Matthew is the presence of my brothers and sisters, whom I pleaded to rebuke me without fear to keep me in check.

Meddling Business
Finally, I have decided to start a business with my best friends. Again, when I started the ball rolling I did not consult God. During our Year End Retreat, I went to the Lord in confession. I ought to run this business with the right attitude. God has to be the center of this picture. Whether the business is a success or a failure, let God be honored and praised. There will be ups and downs, but in times of trouble, let God be glorified. I asked God to help me to be a good testimony of Him to my best friends, so that they may know that God is good. I prayed that all the guests that I will meet will also see Christ in me by bearing the good fruit of the Holy Spirit.
In my fear I want to center this piece to God, so that when you read this, you will know that I can be at peace not because I am good at anything, in fact, I am nothing, but because God is sovereign and He loves me. I want to center this piece to my church, whom I put my trust in and know that they love me and one another. We love like Christ and are united in Christ.

Moving Forward
This coming year, our vision and theme will be "Love • Christ • Unity". The Lord has given us His word 
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” 
John 13:34-35. 
Personally, God told me,
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus. 
Philippians 2:4-5
Welcome 2017, whether a good year or bad year, in God, life is always joyful.

God's Character, My Encounter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had Walked Away

That Sea Raging in Me

November? No, Remember! Part 4