6 Reasons Why You Should Join This Coming Mission Trip

Honestly, until today, I am still very proud of the fact that I was elected as the first Fellowship, Evangelism, Mission and Social Concerns (FEMS) Coordinator. Quite a mouthful I know. But, I'm not here to boast, because all of the experiences was only possible because God led me through every circumstances. Instead, I want to share my mission experience with you.

When I came into USM, I was only about 3 years old in Christ. I was actively serving in the School Chapel Ministry, but the idea of mission trip was very strange to me. I wanted to experience that, so I signed up for my first Mission Trip with USM KKJ Christian Fellowship that I would regret if I didn't. The first Mission Trip opened my eyes and heart for people, and I have discovered so much.

The first Mission Trip, I was assigned under Ernest and Isaac. I remember Joshua Chan being one of them. We were sent to Lenggong, Perak. A strange, new mission ground for us as we trailed Pastor Loh for her new assignment. During the trip, I saw a great need and hunger for Gospel as well as leadership in the local Lutheran Church. Pastor Loh raised her concern that she desperately needed assistance. So, a few month later, on I went my way for my longest mission attachment in Lenggong. Unplanned, I went on serving in Lenggong alone for 3 weeks, And there, I learned so much:

1. Mission allowed me to experience God's powerful providence. 

While I spend my time in Lenggong, I had no plan. Completely no plan. All I had, was a strange bit of courage, and a skin thicker than a bunker. But the Lord provided. He provided an opportunity for me to coincidentally meet up with Pastor Matthew, who brought his church on a mission to Lenggong. He provided a mission team from Malaysia Baptist Theological Seminar (MBTS) who graciously embraced me into their mission team and had a great time together. He provided the equipment, transport, accommodation, people, resource and talent that I needed at the very right time even when I failed to have any plan at all.

In all my missions, I have never failed to see God provide for all things that glorify Him!

(Read His providence story here)

2. Mission opened my eyes to sufferings and injustice.

I broke into tears when my eyes beheld the gloomy future of the children and the folks of the Orang Asli villages. I saw a trap that they cannot get out, while vultures of the rich and powerful lingers and waiting for any opportunity to exploit them. I knew, with all the privilege and gifts given to me, I need to do something.

(Read my Orang Asli experience here)

3. Mission taught me to be contented.

In turn, I compared my living standard to theirs, I can't help but felt ashamed. I have everything, but my heart was never content. I am given far more, blessed far better, eaten far satisfying, but my daily struggles remain within a pitiful chase for even more.

So, I learned to give thanks. In all circumstances, God taught me to be grateful. Why? Because He has always been with me, and blessed me abundantly. I lacked nothing to in turn serve the people He has called me to.

4. Mission helped me to see my limitations and weaknesses.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I generally think very highly of myself, to the point of arrogance. But mission helped me to see my own limitations. In a lot of circumstances, the mission team can be small because of resource constraints. Therefore, missionaries are often pushed to perform tasks that they are normally uncomfortable with.

As for me, I realised my need to expand my ability to enable worship. To do that I need to learn instrument, so that when the time comes, I may be ready for every good work (Titus 3:1). I was also asked to preach. At the age of 20, that was something unusual for most urban churches.

Today, God stretched me in ways that I could not imagine. Today, God enabled me to play the bass and the ukulele, to interpret, to preach, to write, to sing, to lead, to teach and etc. It was this realization of great need for gifts that drives me to learn what was uncomfortable for me.

5. Mission taught me to love.

In missions, I experienced the outpouring of God's love in my heart, that it overflows to His people. Until today, I could not understand how I could lovingly serve a strange, old lady, who had nothing but curses for me. I was compelled to love her and to show her caring love. Then, it was Christ's sacrificial and godly love that led the lady to her baptism in Christmas 2012. Today, that same love of Christ continued to transform her into a loving, wonderful and gentle lady. In short 2 years, that change was so evident, she continues to shine as a testimony to the unbelievers in Lenggong.

6. Mission taught me humility and perseverance.

Most people has the wrong idea about short mission trip. Most people get this, what I called "Missionary's Superiority", when they go for mission. We come with an expectation to make an impact to the people we are ministering to. We wanted to make a change. We genuinely wanted to help. I'm not saying it is wrong, I'm saying it is a common misconception.

Soon, experiencing my mission to Timor Leste (Read my whole trip here) I realised actual impact comes with investment of time, commitment, even the sacrifice of our dreams, family and friends. It takes time and patience to genuinely build people up. It takes effort and perseverance to serve, sometimes, without fruit. But I was thoroughly humbled, when I compare my 3 weeks to missionaries who dedicated 7 Chinese New Years apart from their family, in order to bring the love of Christ to people who are not even their family. That, my friend, is true, sacrificial love.
~~~
In a nutshell, through missions, God stretched me in ways I could never had imagined. My mission experiences helped me to grow spiritually as well as a person in the secular world. Mission helps me to change the center of my life from myself to God: to make Him my priority. And my friend, truly truly I tell you, God blessed me far better than I can complaint.

As for you, you may experience far greater things than I do. So, I encourage you to sign up for this upcoming Mission Trip, which will be held in 3 - 5 April 2015. Sign up now with Jotham Jeremy (J.J.) HERE. And you shall see great and mighty things the Lord is about to show you.



God's Character, My Encounter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Sea Raging in Me

If I Had Walked Away

November? No, Remember! Part 4