#NoDistractionChallenge! Week 1

Day 1
My thumbs went straight for the unlock first thing I woke up. Removed Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Spotify quick-access from my phone and turned off all notifications from these apps. It worked well to stop me, but I can't stop picking up the phone habitually.

The challenge began after work. While having my dinner, I took out the Bible Atlas and read about Egypt.

Day 2
Went to bed early last night. It was one of the best rest I had in a long time. The weather was cold by my blanket was comfy. Nothing much to check on my phone, so I went straight to wash up. I had more time after washing up, so I sat down and prayed. Never knew I have so much time even though I woke up late.
Day 3
I spent more time connecting with my colleague than usual. Without constantly distracted by my phone, I was able to focus on engaging in small talks and even meaningful conversation. I had so much fun chit-chatting with colleague over a free meal.

Day 4
Today was a thoroughly busy day. Managed to start the day with a prayer. I still get that habitual phone-checking but quickly returned to work when I realised I can't do anything else on the phone. I found myself distracted by other things instead: random website browsing, fun reading material, checking out interesting reads on Wikipedia and etc.

Day 5
Met up a friend in Juru for breakfast. It's always fun to meet people. Had the best Pasembur ever. I will definitely return for another meal at Sentosa Corner in Bukit Mertajam. 3min drive down the main road is St. Anne Catholic Church. It was a beautiful place with lots of Catholics coming here for prayer and confession. Had a good talk on religion.

It was nice to meet up with the CG in the evening. I was dying for connection and conversations are good way to pass time. For the first time ever CG started on time and though our number was small we had a good time studying Luke 7:18-35. Supper was good as we tried out a different place this round. It was nice to share my #NoDistractionChallenge experience so far.
Thoughts
First 5 days was really tough, but it also help me to notice some of the habits that I never gave much thought to on a daily basis. The action of swiping my phone unlocked and accessing the Facebook app is literally robotic and automatic. Having no YouTube to pass time, each minute felt longer and more significant, but it also meant that I actually have more time than I thought I do. Putting those wasted minutes to prayer and Scripture Reading would perhaps be more productive.

What else should I expect to experience as I begin the next 5 days of the challenge? To God be the glory!
Love • Christ • Unity

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Sea Raging in Me

If I Had Walked Away

November? No, Remember! Part 4